Saturday, August 28, 2010

Advice one year out

Well I have finished my first year subbing. I admit, when school started, and I didn't have a job I was CRUSHED. I thought I was a failure. I was terrified of subbing. I have my own memories of subs, and have heard horror stories from my own kids. Could I do it?

My husband had been unemployed for about 6 months at that point, which in a way was good because it pushed me to sub as much as I could. It forced me to get over my fear in order to take care of my family.

Our state was experiencing severe budget cutbacks and few districts had even opened up their sub pools so it was tough to even get onto sub lists. I contacted the substitute coordinators at my 3 closest districts, and all districts I had either volunteered in, done an internship or student teaching in. All three told me I could get a principal to override it and recommend me for the sub pool and I was in.

I subbed 155 days our 180 last year. I didn't get entered into the sub pool for the first district I worked until 10 days into school. There were only 5 days that I wanted to work but couldn't find a job.

How did I work so much? How did I get my foot in the door? Networking. I printed up business cards, and flyers with my picture on it. I hate pictures of myself, so this was a huge step for me, but one I think helped. I started with teachers I know. Teachers I had volunteered in class for, teachers my kids had, teachers at where I student taught. I contacted everyone I know.

Next, I stalked the substitute online service. Some districts do have a phone call service, but you only get that call if a)someone has requested you b)someone has put you on their favorites list c) they have found no one else. The phone can be a very lonely companion for a sub starting out. When you stalk the sub site, hitting refresh every 20 seconds, you can catch a job between calls, if it a phone service district, or catch it as it pops first pops up. At first I would look, think, bite nails -- can I do this? and by the time I decided yes - poof -- it was gone. Snapped up by some other sub. I needed the jobs so desperately that I took anything at first.

I think that willingness to take anything is a key to success. You get your foot in the door.

Once in the school , make sure you are VERY nice to the school secretary. She can be your key to a year full of jobs. She can also put you on the black list. Make sure you introduce yourself to EVERYONE! The classes on either side, people in the breakroom, teachers at the copy machine, principal. Pass out your cards like you are entering a drawing for a free lunch. You are.

Flyers -- I have heard mixed feedback on the flyers. Some don't think they are professional. Mine has my picture on it. I feel like this helped put a name to a face. People could see it and think , "hmmmm... I have seen her around. She must be ok. I'll call her." I had several people mention the flyers when they contacted me. It just depends on your comfort level.

At the end of the day always leave the classroom better than it was when you got there. Do whatever you can to make the teachers life easier. Write a nice letter telling them what happened during the day. Try to stay positive. No one wants to come back to a list of complaints after a day off.

Lastly - when you next come to that school, seek out the people you have subbed for, say hi, introduce yourself. Ask them something about their students, their curriculum, compliment something you liked about their classroom. This is how you get added to their favorites list and get that first chance at the next job.

Good Luck!

1 comment:

Kat said...

You compressed it into a few paragraphs but you did quite a bit. You had an impressive year; I hope application reviewers recognize that.

I read your PE, music, and special advice. I was quite nervous with PE and music but felt better after reading your blog.




  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP